Friday 1 September 2017

Bucket Listing

I've been watching repeat editions of A Place in the Sun: Home or Away and several have included people who wanted to add more excitement to their lives.  And on an episode of Bargain Hunt there was a woman who had 60 things to do before 60 list - one of which was appearing on telelvision.

Which got me thinking!  Ok I know - I'm always thinking!  How could my life be more fun and exciting?   And I started researching Bucket Lists on Google.   Most lists seem to include a vast amount of money being spent on travel.

And then I remembered this list.

My second blog post ever was a list of 100 things to do in life.  I had done 30 of the things.  Since then I can add:
40. Seen Michelangelo's David
51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling
57. Started a business
68. Flown in a helicopter
70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial
73. Stood in Times Square
79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person
85. Read the entire Bible
86. Visited the White House - does standing outside the railings count?
95. Seen the Alamo in person


I discovered this blog post as well which featured lists.  Well, didn't feature lists but the thought of lists.  In fact at my 60th birthday party I gave everyone post it notes and asked them to suggest things I could put on a bucket list.  I seem to remember it wasn't the most successful idea! I seem to remember they didn't take it very seriously and came up with some distinctly daft ideas.  I threw them in the bin!

So I was thinking about making a list of 70 things to do before I'm 70.  Two years to do 70 things.  That should be feasible.  110 weeks.


However making the list is proving really hard.  I don't want to do the bungee jumping, sky diving, zip lining stuff.   And when I looked at all these lists on Google I realised I have had a much more exciting life than I give it credit.  And it's been a really privileged life.

I toyed with the idea of listing here everything that I had done, but felt it was rather boastful.  Suffice to say, I have been to a lot of places and done a lot of things.  What I've realised is that I do the things, place a tick in a virtual box (inside my head) and then move on to planning the next thing.  So I'm going to spend some time writing down the list of amazing and exciting things I've done.

And during all the adventures that come my way in the next 2 years and beyond I am going to spend more time appreciating just how fortunate I am.

Have you got a bucket list?

Thanks for stopping by.
Bernice



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love you to leave me an encouraging comment. Don't forget to put your name. I love to know who is commenting. Thank you.