Saturday, 15 October 2016

Ice Ice Baby!

On Monday I went to a workshop at Littleheath Barn with Liske and Claire.

In the morning we set up our ice dyeing and in the afternoon we did a colour run.  I am going to take each activity that I did and show it through to the finished fabric which took 24 hours rather than show the set up altogether and then the all the finished fabric.

I did three different lots of ice dyeing.

In the lower pot I put two lots of twisted cloth.

As I hadn't soda-washed the fabric I sprinkled some soda on and put a lyaer of ice.  I sprinkled turquoise, charcoal and rust procion dyes over the top and left them to 'cure'.

One of the fabrics I had carefully ironed into the concertina pleast before twisting and the other one I just folded and twisted.


In the second pot I fold two pieces of fabric - one into triangles which was held together with elastic bands and one folded into squares.

I did the same sequences as before - soda, ice, dyes - using indigo, charcoal and lime.  As there was a lot of room left in the pot I scrunched up another piece of fabric and put charcoal, rust and dark brown dye powder.

The crumpled fabric.

Folded into triangles.

Folded into squares.

The last ice dyeing was done in a tray with three different fabrics crumpled up.  I used the turquoise, rust and charcoal again.

Here the ice has started to melt.

And this is what I ended up with.

The afternoon's colour run featured the turquoise and the rust.  Each colour was made up with water and then the fabrics were dyed in plastic bags.

The dye was added neat at each end and the ones in the middle had different amounts of each colour.

20 hours later I took them out of the bags to rinse.  They should have been in a bit longer but I was going away to another workshop - more about that next week.

And here's the finished dye run.  When I had finished making up the bags with one piece of fabric in each I put a second piece of fabric and as there was so much dye left the second piece is a lighter colour.


There was some dye left over from this exercise so I tried some 'furrow' dyeing.  The fabric was folded and put into the pot and dye dripped onto the fabric.


So now I have a range of dyed fabrics that go together.  I have no idea what I shall make with them but it was fun doing it.

Thanks for stopping by
Bernice

5 comments:

  1. That does look fun! And you've reminded me that I meant to check my colour collection and buy any procion dyes that were on my list when we were at Art Van Go. I hadn't heard of ice dying so look forward to trying this out one day. I like your colour s by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a great day. I shall look forward to seeing what you do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are lovely - might have to have a go myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are beautiful. I wonder what you will make them into. hugs, Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bernice,
    A number of years ago I dyed some white tea towels with a friend. She loved dyeing fabric and most of her tops. It was a pleasure to participate in the process and see how the towels came out. I am still using those towels today and the stains from kitchen use do not show up like on my standard kitchen towels. I'd sure love to make more of those. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I would love you to leave me an encouraging comment. Thanks.