Between sessions I had done some Session 2 homework. I experimented with the stamps I had made on my gelli plate. They didn't really work out how I pictured them but they are still usable.
Then I layered the papers up and used the sewing machine to make faux chenille. The first piece was stitched in straight lines and then cut.
For the second piece I used an enlarged version of the stamp I had made.
I made myself a new pair of stamps and randomly stamped on a piece of lining paper with acrylic paint and then dyed the background.
The weekend started with us talking about the homework we had all done and then there were short presentations about artists we liked and their use of colour. My chosen artist was JMW Turner. I liked that he experimented with colours and tried to use the same colours in watercolours as well as oils. This article from the Tate was really useful for my research.
In the afternoon we looked at colour theory and mixed our own colours onto a chart.
On Sunday we were able to have individual 'tutorials' with Kim if we wished and to spend the day playing with printing, dyeing and stitch.
I printed with the stamp I made that looks like yacht masts and sails. I used a long piece of brown packaging paper and a limited colour palette. I dyed the paper with some red and yellow procion dye.
I also printed on some hymn book pages and maps.
|printed on deli paper|
|printed on hymn book paper|
|printed on map paper|
I've torn up bits of my printed papers and started sewing into them - which is what I should have done for last session's homework rather than the faux chenille.
And collaged some torn up hymn book page onto the deli paper print and begun stitching.
It will be interesting to see how these finish up.
Thanks for stopping by.