I couldn't work out from the magazine what size the paper was that Michelle used so I decided to use 9"x72 for each section. (I've since found out it was 10"x7"). I didn't have one sheet of paper large enough so I cut two pieces of mixed media paper making sure one had an extra half inch to join to the other piece.
I started by using a technique I learned from Seth Apter. I painted the 2 pieces of paper with acrylic paint. One in blue and one in the sandy pink colour. Then I realised I needed a third piece of paper so I quickly painted another shade of the pink on a spare piece of paper. Then I pressed one sheet onto each of the others. The other colour monoprints on top of the other.
This was the spare sheet of mixed media paper.
It would have been better if I had painted the spare in blue rather than the cut piece as this came out very blue.
Consequently I cut the spare piece into the size I needed for the zigzag book. What I loved about this technique was that it left a texture on the papers that feels like brick. I thought I might have to sand it back where I wanted to glue paper but it was okay.
I cut the apertures and started on adding bits and pieces. In the photo above I printed out different sizes of my gelli prints onto scrapbook cardstock. I also printed the stencils onto Repair Tissue and used this and some of the gelli prints.
I used stencils and stamps with Distress Inks on the background and continued to add bits cut from the gelli prints.
I inked around the edges of the book.
And then stuck the two pieces together.
The photos don't really do it justice. I am really thrilled with the outcome.
Thanks for stopping by.