I don't usually decorate the covers of my journals until they are finished but last week I was watching a Ronda Palazzari video on Creative Jumpstart and it inspired me to the cover of the Dylusions journal I am using for Take Me Deeper and Logos365.
Here it is in its plain state. This is the version that is slightly bigger than 11x8.
I glued some wooden butterflies onto the cover.
I painted over them with gesso.
I applied various colours of acrylic paint with a dry brush. You can see the scissors holding the elastic up from the book.
At this point I didn't like how bright it was so I brushed on a light layer of gesso.
I painted the butterflies with turquoise pearlescent acrylic paint.
After 2 days of looking for the gilding flakes I eventually found them and glued them to the butterflies.
I thought the acrylic background looked to matte so I put two coats of Gloss Multi Medium over the top although you can't really tell in the photo!
I don't think it's finished but I shall leave it now until inspiration strikes again. It may be that I only add the numbers 2015 to the bottom left hand corner.
Thanks for stopping by.