I decided rather than make a mask that could be worn I would make a page in my journal. When I was making my page at the beginning of the month I wiped the excess gesso off that page and spread it on this journal page.
I painted over it with 3 colours of acrylic paint.
As soon as the acrylic paint was touch dry I used a baby wipe and a stencil to remove some of the paint.
I thought it was too bright so I scraped some grunge paste over it. It would probably have worked with gesso as well but the grunge paste has a chalky texture to it and I thought it would be more reminiscent of the crumbling walls in Venice.
For the mask I found this piece of paper which originally was watercolour with cling film. When I was doing the February page I used this paper to dab of the excess ink.
I printed out a mask outline and traced it on the back of the paper. This way I wasn't worrying about which bit of the painted side was best.
Then I went mad with stickles!
I stuck the mask down on the background and then drew round it with a black pen as it had disappeared into the background!
Thanks for stopping by