Saturday 13 July 2013

Alcohol Dripping

And no I don't mean vodka or red wine!

This technique uses Rubbing Alcohol which is Surgical Spirit in the UK.   This is the technique Challenge for July on 12 Months in View.

I watched the videos and then tried out both media.  I'll start with the spray inks and the alcohol.

Firstly I cover a piece of paper with gesso and then sprayed the inks.  I tried 2 colours of Dylusions and one of Colorwash.   I was disappointed with the results but wondered if it was the quality of gesso I used.


I tried using a better quality gesso.


Not a lot of difference.  In fact the inks reacted with the gesso on their own.

The first page eventually looked like this
and I'm pretty sure I could have got the same look using water rather than surgical spirit!

With the acrylic paints I started with Golden paints but because I have deliberately chosen the most transparent colours the technique didn't work so I used the Ranger Dabbers.  I still didn't get quite the result the guy gets on the video so I suspect it would be better to use Artist Acrylics rather than dabbers!

I painted the paper orange and when that was dry put the green over it and dripped the surgical spirit onto it with a pipette.

When this was dry I add the next colour and repeated the actions several times.




I wasn't enthralled by this so I thought I would try a different colour combination.




So I left all these papers overnight to see what I thought of them and whether I liked them any better.


Well, not really.  However I continued by adding some black and some white acrylic paint.

I took the one on the left and cut it down to fit in my journal.  I randomly stamped on the page with two Dylusions background stamps and then scraped modelling paste through the matching stencils.

I'm much happier with it now and I may come back and write on it, but for now I'm going to stick it my journal as a technique sample.

Thanks for stopping by.
Bernice


3 comments:

  1. Oh Bernice they are fabulous, I've been playing with gesso and spray inks yesterday and love the effects - all of yours are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE these and your description of your thought processes throughout. Lots of fun, and lots of learning! thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I found this web site, I couldn't find any knowledge on this matter prior to.Also operate a site and if you are ever interested in doing some visitor writing for me if possible feel free to let me know, im always look for people to check out my web site. alcohol

    ReplyDelete

I would love you to leave me an encouraging comment. Don't forget to put your name. I love to know who is commenting. Thank you.