This technique uses Rubbing Alcohol which is Surgical Spirit in the UK. This is the technique Challenge for July on 12 Months in View.
I watched the videos and then tried out both media. I'll start with the spray inks and the alcohol.
Firstly I cover a piece of paper with gesso and then sprayed the inks. I tried 2 colours of Dylusions and one of Colorwash. I was disappointed with the results but wondered if it was the quality of gesso I used.
I tried using a better quality gesso.
Not a lot of difference. In fact the inks reacted with the gesso on their own.
The first page eventually looked like this
With the acrylic paints I started with Golden paints but because I have deliberately chosen the most transparent colours the technique didn't work so I used the Ranger Dabbers. I still didn't get quite the result the guy gets on the video so I suspect it would be better to use Artist Acrylics rather than dabbers!
I painted the paper orange and when that was dry put the green over it and dripped the surgical spirit onto it with a pipette.
When this was dry I add the next colour and repeated the actions several times.
I wasn't enthralled by this so I thought I would try a different colour combination.
So I left all these papers overnight to see what I thought of them and whether I liked them any better.
Well, not really. However I continued by adding some black and some white acrylic paint.
I took the one on the left and cut it down to fit in my journal. I randomly stamped on the page with two Dylusions background stamps and then scraped modelling paste through the matching stencils.
I'm much happier with it now and I may come back and write on it, but for now I'm going to stick it my journal as a technique sample.
Thanks for stopping by.